COVID-19 – Everything you need to know
Your entry into the Royal Windsor Triathlon 2022 is covered by our COVID-Guarantee, giving you peace of mind about entering. What this means is if the event is cancelled due to COVID-19, we will automatically guarantee you a spot in the next edition of the event, and if for any reason you aren’t able to make that date you will be able to get hold of us to request a refund*
At the event
We want to assure you that in delivering this event we are fully compliant with Government guidelines and law specific to Covid-19 safety.
Throughout the planning of our events our team works closely with all the necessary stakeholders and suppliers to ensure that our events are safe and well run (e.g the local Council authorities, Emergency Services, Medical Director, Health & Safety advisors etc).
This is true at any time, for any event, in any year.
However, the Covid-19 pandemic has of course provided additional challenges and thinking needed. Our priority at all times is, and continues to be, the health & safety of all of the participants, volunteers, crew, and event partners.
We will continue to follow the advice and guidance given by the UK Government and throughout the planning for our events we will continue to take relevant advice from reliable sources. We will take all the appropriate steps between now and the event day to continue to help to ensure the health and safety of all those involved.
Writing this as we launch the events, we do not know what, if any, restrictions will need to be in place when each event takes place. However, as a rule throughout all our planning we always prepare for the unexpected.
As such we are considering various measures which could be put in place to help participants and the event team of crew, partners and volunteers to social distance as far as possible whilst at the event.
These measures might include for example reducing start wave sizes, staggering start times to allow for increased space in the start process & on routes, implementing restrictions within finish areas to help to prevent large numbers of static persons gathering, spacing out the racking spaces in the transition at our triathlon events, and enhanced hygiene measures at any Water/Feed or Aid stations, or a reduction / removal of them.
Other measures such as increased hand sanitation facilities, and additional guidelines for participants and spectators may also be in place.
The situation & thus the measures are likely to be changeable as we proceed over the coming months, and so full details of all measures may not be communicated until approximately 2/3 weeks prior to each event day. However, rest assured that we are working hard behind the scenes with all the relevant experts and stakeholders to ensure we can all be as safe as possible.
FAQ’s and More information
*Any refund due to COVID-19 will be less a small £5 admin fee and 3rd party booking charges. If you are seeking a refund for any other reason our normal Terms and Conditions will apply
There are countless individual scenarios related to COVID-19 that may affect your ability to attend the event day (for example self-isolation, local lockdowns etc), this coupled with the reality of constantly updated guidance and advice means it is impossible for us to have a rule for every possible situation. The COVID-Guarantee is designed to be as fair as possible to everyone, while still allowing us to operate the event with some certainty. Thus, if because of individual circumstances (i.e. not a local lockdown) you are unable to take part of the event you will need to provide us with the relevant proof of this (e.g Tests results, proof of contact from track and trace etc). This proof will need to be covering the currently mandated self-isolation period (from 2 weeks prior to the event, until the day after).
Below are some of the answers (as best as we can currently give) to common questions you may have:
- Will I have to wear a mask whilst taking part in the event
- Currently that is not the guidance that is given; however, this may change down the line. Also, you may for example not have to wear it whilst actually taking part, but you might need wear one immediately prior to (e.g. in start line up) &/or immediately after crossing the finish line.
We will adhere to all legal requirements at a minimum and will also consider the health and safety repercussions of our event which may require additional safety measures to be put in place. We will communicate these with you 2-3 weeks prior to the event.
- What happens if there is a local lockdown in my area
- If the area where you live is under a local lockdown, we would expect you to follow the guidelines from the authorities. If these guidelines include advice not to travel to another area, which makes your attendance of our event impossible we will review your situation and offer you alternative options for your entry.
- What happens if there is a local lockdown in Windsor
- If there is a local lockdown that directly effects the event then we will liaise with the relevant local stakeholders and councils and will communicate the plans for the event and what options you have available to you in as timely a manner as possible.
- I don’t feel comfortable travelling by public transport
- We understand that using public transport may not be something everyone wants to do. If you are in this situation, we encourage you to take heed before you enter of your own circumstances and the logistics of travelling to and from our event. We encourage you to make alternative arrangements that you are comfortable with as far ahead of time as you can (For example; Car, Walking, Cycling etc)
- How long before the event will the details of social distancing etc be confirmed
- We will endeavour to keep you up to date throughout the run up to the event, and 2 to 3 weeks before the event we will update you on the latest advice and what the effect on your event day will be. This may of course change, so it is important that you read all the emails we send to you carefully. On this note make sure that you are receiving our emails and that they are not sent to junk mail or that you have unsubscribed from our mailing list.
- Can I have a refund if I’m forced to self-isolate?
- If you are forced to self-isolate and are unable to attend the event you will need to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with proof, between 2 weeks prior to the event and no later than one day after. (The 2 week time period is based on the current government guidelines for self-isolation as of 21 Oct 2020)
- What happens if the event is cancelled due to COVID-19
- We will liaise with the relevant local stakeholders and councils and will communicate the plans for the event and what options you have available to you in as timely a manner as possible. Our COVID-Guarantee ensures you a place in the next edition of the event, and in the case where you can’t make this you can request a refund (less a small £5 admin fee and 3rd party booking charges).
- Will my family and friends be able to come and watch me?
- Currently it is too early to tell what social distancing restrictions and guidelines may be in place during the event, we will aim to keep you up to date and informed in the run up to the event, with the latest guidance coming out 2-3 weeks before the event.